Picking up Nickels

Friday, September 11, 2026

September 2026 Financial Asset Roundup

Here are my current financial assets as of the market close on September 10th, 2026:

Asset Aug 2026 Sep 2026 Change




Checking 461 318 -143
Money Market 84,188 99,541 15,353
Savings Bonds 269,050 269,857 807
Treasurys 146,000 146,000 0
CDs 75,624 75,823 199
Brokerage 557,267 566,038 8,771
401k 706,686 696,768 -9,918
Roth IRA 457,515 449,104 -8,411
IRA 1,802,389 1,776,771 -25,618
529 Savings 156,058 155,297 -761
Total Assets $4,255,238 $4,235,517 -$19,721
      -0.46 %

The S&P 500 has been pulling back, falling 1.98% (+10.90% YTD) since the last update:

(chart courtesy of cnbc.com)

Today is the 25th anniversary of 9/11, and I vividly remember working at my desk when they first announced on the radio that an airplane had hit one of the towers at the World Trade Center. I'll always remember, but will avoid as much of the media coverage today as possible since it's still hard for me to deal with.

On the jobs front, the monthly employment rate for August remained at 4.1%, with a better-than-expected 162,000 new jobs created. Oil prices rose to the $100 level (up 17% from $85), with that price reflected in a local unleaded regular gasoline price of $4.17 (up from $3.99) and a heating oil price of $5.15 (up from $4.50) at my last fill-up. It's hard to believe I paid $2.69 and $3.05, respectively, before our leaders started the Iran war on 2/28/26.

On the financial front, I again skipped my usual Fidelity 401k transaction (FSKAX) and Vanguard VTI purchase in my taxable brokerage account because I am not comfortable adding to our equity holdings at this time. I did take an S Corp distribution and my T-Bill holdings automatically rolled into new ones: 13 week 3.714% -> 3.859%, 4 week 3.686% -> 3.839%, and 8 week 3.722% -> 3.742%. The Navy Federal 24 month @ 4.15% APY CD I had matured on 8/27/26 and I rolled that money over to the Navy Federal 4.00% APY 13 month add-on CD I opened in January. I also have an Alliant 17 month 4.35% CD maturing next month and will be considering 52 week T-Bills and 7 year T-Notes as a landing spot since current rates have become more attractive.

As for the non-financial, school is back in session and I'm going to do my best to enjoy the warm weather before Fall sets in. We're also hoping to have a small home improvement project completed before winter hits and are keeping our fingers crossed that the small company we chose will work out for the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home