Picking up Nickels

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Sovereign Bank Warns of Data Breach

Bank warns customers personal data may have been breached

Sovereign Bank is the latest bumbler to mishandle personal data for thousands of customers. According to the Boston Globe article, the data was on three laptops stolen from vehicles at two undisclosed Massachusetts locations.

Can someone please explain to me why it is necessary for personal customer information to be carried around on laptop computers and why some governing body doesn't fine a corporation an obscene amount of money for such negligence? It's time to start requiring some accountability for this irresponsible corporate behavior.

A bit of disclosure: we have a checking account with Sovereign Bank in the family. I don't know if our data was compromised yet, but we will find out and take appropriate action. I had to initiate a fraud alert on my credit report and change my credit card account number earlier this year when the Boston Globe leaked my personal information. Here we go again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home