Picking up Nickels

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Bad Credit = Not Hired

Having a poor credit history will not just make it difficult to borrow money to buy a home or a car, but it could also hamper your efforts to buy insurance or find a job. An article in the Boston Globe today is yet another reminder of how critical it has become to have a good personal credit history:

Qualification: Must have a good credit history

My credit wasn't perfect, but I never thought my student loans would go against me," said Horton. ``The company said I could reapply once I had two years of excellent credit, but there is no way I am going to be able to pay off those loans that quickly.


From an employer perspective, I can understand how you could question the quality of an applicant who isn't responsible with their own finances. But what about the people who have had their credit history destroyed by identity theft, medical bills, divorce, or the death of a spouse? Where do you draw the line between being a victim and being irresponsible?

1 Comments:

  • Not getting a job because of bad credit can happen - especially in the banking or mortgage industries. There has been too many people "burned" by unscrupulous reps in the past and this is one way the employer can screen candidates for certain behaviour.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/5/06, 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home