Picking up Nickels

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Do I give enough to charity?

According to this article at MSN Money, Americans contribute 2.2% of their after-tax income to charity. I seem to be a bit behind the curve though, since (according to Schedule A, Line 15a of my tax return) I donated about 1.4% of my take home pay in 2005.

This number does not account for quite a few "off the books" donations made throughout the year (food and clothing drives, cash donations at stores, etc.), which probably push the total closer to 2.2%. But is that really enough?

To be blunt, I have to say that my favorite charity is me. I don't spend my money on frivolous things of course, but my saving, investing, and spending is clearly focused on providing for the needs and security of my family.

How exactly is one supposed to reconcile the "give vs. save" internal debate anyway?

1 Comments:

  • You've tried giving less. Experiment with giving more and see how you feel. In my experience it usually feels better than you think it will, and hurts les than you think it will.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/14/06, 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home