Picking up Nickels

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Grocery Deal: How I made money buying 10 boxes of cereal

My grocery shopping approach (Strategy: How to Save Money on Groceries) is based on stockpiling items when they can be bought for a good price. This week, I took advantage of a deal where I was able to get paid for taking ten boxes of cereal off of the supermarket's hands.

Shaw's Supermarket had a Kraft Foods promotion this week where you would get a $10 checkout coupon when you spend $20 on participating products.

I often eat Raisin Bran cereal for breakfast, so I focused on the 20 oz. box of Post Raisin Bran that was on sale for $2 (regular price $2.89). I matched this sale up with the 8/13 SmartSource coupon booklet, which contained a coupon for $1 off any 2 Post Cereals as well as a $10 Post/Nabisco mail in rebate form.

Unfortunately, I could only scrounge up four of the $1 off any 2 Post Cereals coupons, which cost me an extra dollar of profit:


Item Cost
10 Boxes of Post cereal $20.00
$10 Checkout coupon -$10.00
(4) $1/2 Coupons -$4.00
$10 Mail in rebate -$10.00
Postage $0.39
Final Profit $3.61


The final result was that I was paid $3.61 to buy 10 boxes of Post Raisin Bran cereal. If I had bought them at the regular price, I would have paid $28.90 for the same ten boxes of cereal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home