Picking up Nickels

Monday, August 10, 2009

Three years of blogging and counting!

Boy, a lot of things have changed since I started this blog in August 2006.

Back in 2006 we were more than a year away from entering the recession we're currently working our way through (or are we?), the S&P 500 index was about 20% higher than it is now, a gallon of gas cost me about three bucks, and 6% APY CDs and 5% APY savings accounts were readily available.

Ironically, despite the stock market taking a beating over the past year or so, my bottom line is up about 22% over the past three years. That gain can pretty much be attributed to distributions and SEP IRA contributions from my S Corporation, which I suppose reinforces the idea that ongoing contributions (and not just stock market gains) are an important part of building a sizable nest egg:

(chart courtesy of msn.com)

My hope is that an anniversary post one year from now will bring better news with regards to jobs, the economy, and the stock market. But no matter how things turn out I would like to once again thank all of the visitors who stop by for your comments and links. Well, except for the spammers at least. :)

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home